The new site is up and running.
Please CLICK HERE to go to new site.

Or go to WWW.SMARTAPPSWORLD.COM

HomeHomeFAQRegisterLog in

Handango laid off 40% of their workforce - FROM M$mobiles . . . View previous topic View next topic Go down
Q-Area51
Super Moderator

Male
Age : Number of posts : 3476My Device : HTC TP - Q9cCarrier : VZWLocation : SE PA - USA

View user profile

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:49 pm

Handango laid off 40% of their workforce
November 19, 2008 [General] | By Edward J. R.

Let's face it: in the era of central application stores - already available for Google Android, RIM BlackBerry, Apple iPhone and coming next year to Windows Mobile too - there is no point in 3rd party online stores with mobile software.

Furthermore central stores give to developers more money (70% compared to 50-55% that Handango is giving) and much higher visibility as access to central stores is available from each device with given operating system.

In past we have been harping on Handango many times, mainly due to the fact that they were (and are) ripping off developers but also due to their unfair business practices (like positioning more expensive applications higher than better but cheaper ones), but now it becomes clear that future of Handango is less than certain.

Handango was disrespecting end customers and developers and focusing on satisfying needs of carriers, from which it was earning most of the money. In long-term all that bad practices of Handango has not paid off.

So Handango laid off 40% of their workforce in that past few days. What next? Difficult to say but in era of central application stores their business model is no longer viable.

Note: we do not recommend any particular online store with software - so if at all possible, please go to the original website of the given developer and buy directly without middlemen!
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Q-Area51
Super Moderator

Male
Age : Number of posts : 3476My Device : HTC TP - Q9cCarrier : VZWLocation : SE PA - USA

View user profile

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:55 pm

^Personally I hate to see anyone loose their job but in this case I have to say, "that's just too bad." Handango has scalped developers for years at rates of 45-55% which is highway robbery. The guys that write the code get the shaft. Handango's cut is the highest in the industry so if they go down the drain, not too many folks are going to miss them, especially the developers. -Q
Back to top Go down
Reply to topic
Handango laid off 40% of their workforce - FROM M$mobiles . . . View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
oldS.A.W. :: 

Community

:: 

News Section

-

| WWW.SMARTAPPSWORLD.COM |
| Contact Us | F.A.Q. | Forum Rules |
Forum create on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Free forum